Follow this guide to import assessments from MyEducator into your Brightspace course for seamless access and automatic grade reporting.
You will need the following items found on the LTI Integration page in MyEducator:
- Course Number
- Consumer Key
- Consumer Secret
This may require administrator permissions. If you are not able to follow the steps described here, you will need to reach out to your institution's Brightspace administrators for assistance.
Configure Brightspace System Settings
In order to import assessments from MyEducator into Brightspace, there are a few items that need to be configured by your institution's Brightspace admins beforehand. These configurations are common, but they are not configured by default.
Enable LTI Content-Item Messaging
Confirm with your institution's Brightspace admins that the config variable d2l.Tools.Lti.ContentItemMessaging.IsEnabled is on.
Review IMS Role Mappings
Confirm with your institution's Brightspace admins that instructors in Brightspace have the IMS Role Mapping of Instructor.
Configure External Learning Tool
1. Navigate to the Admin Tools menu (the gear icon on the far right end of the navigation bar). Under the header "Organization Related", select "External Learning Tools"
2. Under "Manage Tool Providers", click "New Tool Provider"
3. Fill out the "Tool Provider Settings":
- Launch Point: https://app.myeducator.com/links/lti.cim/
- Secret: This is your Consumer Secret provided by MyEducator
- Tool consumer information: Check the box labeled "Use custom tool consumer information instead of default"
- Key: This is your Consumer Key provided by MyEducator
- Name: MyEducator CIM
- Visibility: Check the box labeled "Allow users to use this tool provider"
Your "New Tool Provider" form should look something like this:
4. Fill out the "Security Settings":
- Make sure the following security settings are checked *(feel free to check any others, but the ones listed here are required)*:
- Send LTI user ID and LTI role list to tool provider
- Send user name to tool provider
- Send user email to tool provider
- Under "Make tool provider available to" click the "Add Org Units" button and add your course to the list.
Your "Security Settings" should look something like this:
6. Click "Save and Close"
Configure Remote Plugin
1. Navigate to the Admin Tools menu (the gear icon on the far right end of the navigation bar). Under the header "Organization Related", select "Remote Plugins"
2. At the top of the page, click "New Remote Plugin"
3. Fill out the form:
- Plugin Type: Quicklink (CIM)
- Name: MyEducator Assessment Chooser
- Launch Point URL: https://app.myeducator.com/links/lti.cim/?coursenum=:coursenum (replace :coursenum with your Course Number provided by MyEducator)
- LTI Key: This is your Consumer Key provided by MyEducator
- LTI Secret: This is your Secret Key provided by MyEducator
- Under "Make available to" click the "Add Org Units" button and add your course to the list.
Your "New Remote Plugin" form should look something like this:
4. Click "Save"
We are now ready to import assignments from MyEducator! Inside of any module in your course content, use the "Add Existing activities" dropdown and select the "MyEducator Assessment Chooser" that we just created.
Select the tool and a window will appear showing you all the MyEducator assessments.
Select which items you'd like to import, then scroll the the bottom and click "Import Assessments".
Students can now access assessments directly through Brightspace and corresponding line items have been added to your grade book! Feel free to move the assessment links anywhere in your course, or just leave them in the module we just added them to.
Please note that importing assessments this way requires that students only access these assessments through Brightspace. Without this, student grades will not be reported correctly. If you do not care about grades being reported to Brightspace, then you don't need to import assessments – students can access them through MyEducator.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you encounter any issues and we'll be happy to assist you.